It's wrong not to believe that headaches after a workout are normal conditions. When you exercise, the head, neck, and scalp muscles need more blood to circulate. This causes the blood vessels to dilate, which can cause exercise headaches. However, there are other underlying reasons which may explain this condition.
Regen Labs is here to help you better understand the symptoms, causes, and treatment of headaches after working out.
Headaches After Working Out
Symptom of Exercise Headaches
Exercise headaches are triggered after a long period of exercise and activities, such as running, rowing, tennis, swimming, weightlifting, etc.
Exercise headaches are divided into two groups:
- Primary exercise headaches are usually painless with no underlying causes. This type can frequently be avoided with medicine.
- A severe and underlying brain-related issue causes secondary exercise headaches. This condition could be anything from a sinus infection to a tumor, necessitating immediate medical intervention.
Symptoms of headaches after working out can be moderate to severe pain. These symptoms might begin during or after a period of intense physical activity. While primary headaches last from a few minutes to two days, secondary headaches can last for several days. Secondary headaches can have a variety of symptoms, including:
- Neck pain
- Double vision
What Causes Headaches After Working Out?
Primary exercise headaches can occur for unknown reasons. Some experts believe it has something to do with narrowing blood vessels inside your skull.
Secondary exercise headaches are the result of an underlying issue, such as:
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage: Bleeding in the space between the brain and the brain and the tissues that cover the brain.
- Cancerous tumors: When a tumor is big enough to press on nerves or vessels in the brain, they cause headache.
- Coronary artery disease: This condition affects blood vessels leading to or within your brain
- Sinus infection: The pressure in the sinuses builds up, causing pain that feels like a headache.
- Structural abnormalities of the head, neck, or spine
- Obstruction of cerebrospinal fluid flow
Moreover, you may be more susceptible to post-workout headaches if you're doing any of the following:
- Exercising in hot temperatures
- Doing high-altitude training
- Experiencing a personal or family history of migraines
3 How to Treat Headaches After Working Out
Diagnosis of an exercise headache can help you rule out severe medical causes, some of which can be life-threatening. To determine whether you're suffering from exercise headaches, your doctor will start asking about your symptoms. Thus, it would be best to tell your doctor about specific activities that cause you headaches.
Depending on the severity of your symptoms and medical history, your doctor may give you imaging tests, including:
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- CTA and MRA Tests
- Lumbar puncture
Exercise headaches can be treated differently depending on whether you have a primary or secondary condition. Secondary exercise headaches typically disappear if the original cause is addressed.
If your headaches are predictable, you may only need to take medicine before engaging in activities. Otherwise, you have to take medication regularly to prevent them if they aren't predictable.
Regen Labs® FlexMax™ is a toxin-free supplement that helps boost your workout beyond any plateau. This supplement aims at optimizing growth, stamina, and recovery. Active ingredients of FlexMax include:
- BPC-157 is effective in restoring and rebuilding tissue diminished by injury or disease.
- Epicatechin is used to treat sarcopenia (muscle wasting), the body's tendency to shed muscle as we age or reduce activity.
Also, Regen Labs® Body products are nitric-acid-free, which means no more exercise headaches.
It is a lot to think about! We get it. Regen Labs has options for you if you have questions about headaches after working out. All Regen Labs products support the body's natural systems for a healthy brain, skin, muscle, and sexual health.
Regen Labs products contain research-proven ingredients to boost the body's natural ability to be healthy without toxins or synthetic chemicals.
Let's talk! If you have questions, we would love to connect. Contact us today.