Cognitive decline is a loss of one or more cognitive faculties over time, such as memory, consciousness, judgment, and mental acuity. A drug called ISRIB has been linked with brain-related and age-related functions in animals. Many studies have been conducted to see the effects of this drug on mice, and they have produced a variety of expected results.
Here is everything you need to know about cognitive decline and studies on ISRIB.
Mild Cognitive Decline
Mild cognitive impairment occurs when a person’s mental faculties deteriorate somewhat but noticeably compared to others their age. The person experiencing this condition can notice the changes. Still, they are not severe enough to interfere with daily living and activities.
The possible causes of mild cognitive impairment have yet to be identified. Another disorder may generate mild mental impairment symptoms in a small proportion of patients. The following are some of the conditions that could occur:
- Thyroid issues
- Sleep disorders
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Seeing or hearing problems
- Adverse effects of some prescription
Signs of Cognitive Decline
People experiencing cognitive decline or cognitive impairment will have trouble with memory or paying attention. Those people are at risk of facing a variety of symptoms, including:
- Memory loss: forgetting faces, places, or events
- Language issues: finding it difficult to deliver a proper conversation
- Attention deficit: losing focus and easily getting distracted
- Reasoning and judgment problems: finding it difficult to make decisions or solve problems.
What You Need to Know About ISRIB – A Drug Reversing Age-Related Cognitive Decline
ISRIB (integrated stress response inhibitor) is a drug-like molecule that targets eIF2B, reversing the effects of eIF2 phosphorylation and restoring translation. ISRIB improves cognition and prevents cognitive decline in mice following brain damage. Here are some animal studies on this drug and the promising results they produce:
Studies From The UC San Francisco
The UC San Francisco researchers employed an investigational medication in mice with traumatic brain injury (TBI) to cure severe learning and memory problems. In laboratory trials, this drug has previously been proven to provide a variety of benefits, including:
- restoring memory function
- repairing cognitive decline in Down Syndrome
- preventing hearing loss
- fighting off prostate cancer
- improving cognition in animals
A study published in Dec 2020 indicated that ISRIB therapy improves working memory and reverses spatial memory deficiencies in aged mice. Researchers discovered that old mice quickly regained their youthful cognitive capacities. This performance was accompanied by a renewal of immune and brain cells, which could explain the improvements in their brain function.
Studies From Peter Walter and Susanna Rosi
ISRIB was found in Peter Walter’s lab in 2013.
When the ISR detects difficulties with protein production in a cell, it responds by holding back the cell’s mechanism of protein synthesis. This mechanism is vital for screening out bad cells.
Another animal study from Walter and Susanna Rosi has implicated chronic ISR activation in patients’ persistent cognitive and behavioral deficits after TBI. The study has shown that in mice, ISRIB treatment can reactivate the ISR and restore normal brain function in a short time.
Studies Led By Karen Krukowski
One study discovered a hidden platform that is generally difficult for older animals to learn. During the three-day training, animals given daily doses of ISRIB performed as well as young mice and significantly better than animals given no medication. Follow-up results a few days later showed that the drug was still effective in mice.
All in all, these studies indicated how ISRIB could somewhat improve cognition boost neuron and immune cell function.
Broad Effects Obtained From All Studies
After many studies were conducted, the results received gave encouraging signs, including:
- ISRIB was likely to improve cognitive abilities in healthy mice instantly
- ISRIB didn’t just compensate for the cognitive deficits in mice experiencing traumatic brain injury; it could erase them.
- The ISR clogged up neurons all over the brains of animals who had suffered a traumatic brain injury.
Some people may be concerned that interfering with the ISR would result in significant adverse effects. Yet, the researchers have found none so far in their investigation.
The drug, while promising is not tested on humans yet and as such not commercially available. However, there are alternatives that can help improve mental alertness or cognitive function such as Neuro Spark – Regen Labs. Neuro Spark is a supplement used to support brain health. It is designed to suppress amyloid-beta plaques, relieve oxidative stress, support healthy cell structure, and metabolize glucose. Its key ingredients include:
- Bisibuthiamine: is an artificial supplement that provides a modest stimulant effect, increasing mental activity and improving memory.
- Centrophenoxine: mimics the properties of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter for memory and learning.
- Bacopa: contains potent antioxidants that protect cells from harm and boost brain function.
- Trans-ferulic acid: aids in memory improvement and new topics learning.
- Huperzine A: is a natural chemical used to improve memory and mental function in people experiencing memory deficiencies.
It is a lot to think about! We get it. Regen Labs has options for you if you have questions about cognitive decline. All Regen Labs products support the body’s natural systems for a healthy brain, skin, muscle, and sexual health.
Regen Labs products contain research-proven ingredients to boost the body’s natural ability to be healthy without toxins or synthetic chemicals.
Let’s talk! If you have questions, we would love to connect. Contact us at [email protected].